0 votes
by Andrew Read (150 points)

Hi Stephen, Gerald,

Windows 11 Pro.  Windows Terminal Version: 1.20.11781.0 is the default console.  I open PowerShell in Windows Terminal and enter:

VFXFORTH -console

the result is a new GUI console window running VFX Forth.  What I would like to achieve is have VFX Forth run in Windows Terminal console itself (no new GUI window).  How could that be done?

The purpose is:

1) Use the ANSI ESC codes which Windows Terminal supports to show embedded telemetry

2) Open a Windows Terminal on a remote machine with SSH, run VFX Forth in that terminal and interact with it remotely through the SSH client

1 Answer

+1 vote
by Stephen Pelc (4.2k points)
See the manual (remember those). Chapter 27, Building Standalone Programs. Section 27.5, Binary SAVE words. The word you want is SAVECONSOLE.
by Andrew Read (150 points)
edited by Andrew Read
Thank you Stephen.  I tried it and it works.  Somehow I would never have thought I needed to build a standalone program, but this is the way it works and I'll think it over.
by Stephen Pelc (4.2k points)
SAVECONSOLE is just undoing all the GUI stuff needed like the message pumps. The primary VFX kernel (vfxkern.exe) is also a console app but has only a minimal set of tools.